|| Mouchalagane River, Caniapiscau municipality - Canton Paquin
township (Canton) Paquin, named as such in 1962, is located near the
Labrador Newfoudland border, next to Lake Opocopa which discharges into
the upper Moisie River. It is totally inhabited. The name refers to Jacques Paquin (1791-1847) ( Paul-Marie Marguerite Marcotte), of
Deschambault, Que. He was a missionary during his theological studies
at Odanak. The young Paquin learned the local Abenaquis dialect and was
made parish priest in 1815 at Saint-Francois-du-Lac. He was made parish
priest at Saint-Eustache in 1821 where he stayed for the rest of his
life. As he was strongly opposed to liberalism and also to the
nationalist movement of the time, he relocated to his farm during the
1817 insurrection. The following year, in order to obtain government
compensation for the reconstruction of the church, he wrote an
historical document on the rebellion events of Saint-Eustache. in the
township of Deux-Montagnes. He orchestrated the construction of the
magnificent Convent of the Soeurs de la Congrégation of Saint-Eustache
which had been razed by fire during the rebellion. Afterwards, due to a
severe reprimand made by Bishop Bourget, he neglected his ministry and
preaching to pursue his studies while operating farms that he owned and
which provided him with a substantial revenue. The History of Church in
Canada which he had been working on for several years was never
||Saint-David d'Yamaska - Pont Docteur J.W. Paquin
bridge over the David river is named after Doctor Joseph Wilfrid Paquin
& is located on the way to Sainte-Cécile town line, south of the
village, n the heart of the parish municipality of Saint-David. Dr. Joseph
Wilfrid Paquin (Alfred-Célina Baril) was born in Saint-Didace. He came
to live at Saint-David in the family home of Bishop Brunault in 1906. He was president of the School Board for several terms and a physician in Saint-David until his death on October 11, 1958.
|| Saint-Eustache - Rue Paquin
|| The name was given to honor Jacques Paquin (1791-1847) ( Paul-Marie Marguerite Marcotte).
He was made vicar at Varennes and parish priest at the Odanak Abenaquis
in 1821. He then became parish priest at Saint-Eustache in 1837. He was
the school board president from 1829 to 1847.
(See also Canton Paquin - Mouchalagane River)
|| Saint-Jérôme - Pont Paquin
bridge was named to honor one of the original founding families of the
town of Lafontaine, which was merged with St-Jérôme in 2002. He was Isidore Paquin (1830-1911) (Isidore-Angélique Dautour).
|| Sainte-Sophie de Lévrard - Route Paquin
|| The Paquin road connecting the sixth and seventh rank to Sainte-Sophie
de Lévrard county of Nicolet thus named in memory of Arsène Paquin.
|| Trois-Rivières - Carré du Maire Paquin
|| The square was named after Donat Paquin (Désiré-Hélène Houle)
who was mayor of Cap de la Madeleine, from 1921 to 1931. Elected
municipal magistrate at Cap de la Madeleine July 5, 1921, he became
mayor in December of that year. Donat was a Knight of Columbus, member
of the Elks at Trois-Rivières & President of the Guénisse Club.
|| Trois-Rivières – Rue l'Abbé Paquin
|| This is named after Father Carmel Paquin (born 1930) (Rosario-Hélène Diamond). His
theological studies were done in Trois-Rivières & he was ordained
in Shawinigan, Qc. He had a keen interest in children & their
recreation. The Rue l’Abbé Paquin was named after him because he was the
first Chaplain-Director of the playgrounds in Trois-Rivières and La
|| Trois-Rivières - Rue Maurice Paquin
|| Maurice Paquin (1921-1994) (Edmond-Mérilda Rivard)
became mayor of St Louis de France in 1971. He contributed largely to
the development of housing in his locality by the construction of houses
which he built, with the help of his wife, on land that he had obtained
from his father. He led the municipal & school administrations.
|| Trois-Rivières – Rue Paquin
|| This city street is named after Louis Dosithée Paquin (1844-1918) (Maxime-Marie Gingras). He was a lawyer by profession & became Mayor of Trois-Rivières in 1900-1902 and again in 1905.
|| Val David - Auberge du Lac Paquin
Parker was the original builder/owner of Parker’s Lodge in 1944. This
charming country inn has 4 floors in addition to a small cottage with
fireplace on the side of Lac Paquin. The inn passed on to a few owners,
the most recent being France & Ludovic Bolla. They gave it a new
name “Auberge du Lac Paquin” in 1993 in keeping with its environment and
|| Val David - Chemin Paquin
to Yvon Paquin (D’Assise-Lise Vaillancourt) the name was given to the
road around 1959 following a request made by his grandfather, Alphonse
Paquin (Isaïe-Marie Flore Chartrand). This took place when D’Assise Paquin (Alphonse-Délia Bérichon) was in office as mayor (1957-59). It was given the name with a view to perpetuate the name of the Paquin families in the area.
|| Val David - Lac Paquin
1899, Lac Paquin was called « Lac Grand-Maison named after Anselme
Barbary dit Grand-Maison. The name Paquin has been around since the
beginning of the 20th century when a Summer Post Office was in operation under the name Lac Paquin from 1913 to 1954.
name is absent from the Terrebonne County maps published in 1924 and
1931. On April 29, 1931, at a Geographical Commission meeting, it was
decided to replace the name “Lac Paquin” by “Lac Berthiaume” to reflect a
request made by Pamphile du Tremblay, a member of parliament for the
Repentigny riding and later on made senator on November 19, 1942. The
latter was Charles Arthur Berthiaume’s brother-in-law, owner of La
Presse in Montréal who had acquired some land in 1919 on the lake front.
However, the name “Lac Paquin” continued to appear on the topographical
map 31J/SE dated 1936 and on the Terrebonne map of 1939. The
“Lac Berthiaume” appeared again on map 31J/01 dated 1957. The
Geographical Commission returned to the name “Lac Paquin”on 1970-03-06.
The name originated from Alphonse Paquin (Isaïe-Marie Flore Chartrand) who owned all the land around the lake.
|| Val-d'Or - Avenue Paquin
|| The names were given from two Paquin families, namely Achille Paquin (1909-2002) (Fleurimont -Virginie Demers), well known in the local real estate market in Val-d’Or and also Philippe Paquin responsible
for many construction projects in Val-d’Or including the construction
of the present Val-d’Or City Hall. The names Avenue Paquin and
Paquinville were given to honour them.